Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Wednesday's Woman: Russatta Buford

In the previous post, I thanked Mr. Tyler Perry for his commitment to advance worthy causes. I'm proud to say that for the inaugural posting of Wednesday's Woman I can feature my friend Russatta Buford. I met this petite powerhouse 2 years ago and I've been impressed and influenced by her dedication to serve ever since. She is resolute in her desire to make her community better by her presence and her sincerity of service is commendable. Russatta's philanthropic work was highlighted last month in O, The Oprah Magazine in a Covergirl feature. 

I asked Russatta to ruminate on what that experience and service meant to her. Here's what she had to say...


You were featured in Oprah Magazine as a part of Covergirl's Giving Beautiful Back feature. What compelled you to do it? 
I wish I could say I wanted to bring attention to the nonprofit with which I volunteer.  Honestly, I was awake in the wee hours of the morning and entered into several sweepstakes and contests.  It's really that simple.  There wasn't anything else to do.  However, when I came across this entry form, I was pleased to have a forum in which I might be able to bring attention to the great work that the Brooklyn Bureau of Community Service does. 

Could you tell us more about your volunteer work?
Sure!  Since I'm involved with nonprofits beyond BBCS, I should first mention that I'm a volunteerism junkie.  I am a pro bono volunteer with the Taproot Foundation.  With Taproot, I've set the marketing strategy for Mount Hope Housing Company's first annual report and led a team in doing the same for The Dance Theatre of Harlem.  My history with BBCS is varied and spans over four years, but I currently sit on its Board of Directors which is a huge responsibility.  I'm on the Strategic Task Force which is helping to determine how BBCS will manage in this economic downturn where funding has decreased and much-needed programs are threatened by many forces.  I also co-chair the Community Relations Committee that manages marketing and communications (e.g., website, rebranding), legislative outreach (from "lobbying" to securing grants from elected officials) and community outreach (e.g., public forums, special events).

Why should more people get involved with community service?
We all have a responsibility to share our gifts and talents with others.  In my opinion, volunteering is an unselfish way of expressing love.  Muhammad Ali once said, " Service to others is the rent you pay for room here on Earth."  Besides, it feels great to know that you have positively impacted someone else's life.

What would you say to people who think they don't have enough to offer or feel their schedules are already too packed to volunteer?
Well, my response above assumes that we all have gifts and talents.   If you feel you don't have anything to offer, just think about the areas in your life where you receive compliments.  Your style?  Become a personal shopper for Dress for Success.  Knitting?  (not yet, Tracey!)** Make a scarf for an elderly person who needs to stay warm in the winter.  Talking?  Visit an nursing home and chat away.
If you don't have the time, think again.  For many opportunities, you don't have to leave the couch.  If you are good at administrative tasks, volunteer with Adopt A Cat, Inc. and set schedules for transportation, events and such. However, you certainly have something to offer with whatever free time you find.  Try it out at VolunteerMatch.
While we get a glimpse of your idea of beauty in terms of public service, what else makes a woman beautiful to you?
I love women who are passionate about something worthwhile. Subjective, I know!  My concept of beauty is strongly linked to someone's willingness to get out of her own head and operate from a place of love, sincerity, and kindness. 

Who has mainly influenced your ideas on beauty and giving back?
My Mom totally.  I won't say that she was the most beautiful person in the world because that would be cliche.  Right?  I will just say that her heart gave out on her because she gave it all to others.  From adopting a family-in-need at Christmas to delivering food to the elderly, my Mom embodied generosity and set such a great example for me as I make my way in this world.  When it comes to beauty, I'd have to say my Mom again.  She always appreciated healthy-looking, well-balanced, bright-spirited people.  She always made me feel comfortable in my own skin and encouraged me to love myself which I aim to do everyday.
 
Thanks Russatta for sharing your beauty through service!!!! Check out the cool video of Russatta and the other women recognized by Oprah and Covergirl here.

Wednesday's Woman is a new feature in which I intend to highlight women who are living out areas of their lives abundantly. We are all multi-dimensional beings with lots to offer and achieve. This is the space wherein I recognize those efforts and hope to encourage others to find ways to live abundantly!!!

**Editor's Note: I do intend to knit a good portion of my Christmas gifts this year. I know the protests of my friends and family are just their ways of saying, "We truly appreciate and encourage your creativity!"

3 comments:

Shumeca said...

I like your inaugural Wednesday's Woman post and interviewing Ms. Buford was the perfect kickoff. And yep, Russatta is a beauty inside and out.

I especially appreciated the examples she gave of ways for people to use even their seemingly small gifts and abilities to serve others.

Thanks for sharing ladies!

Jeanique said...

Awesome post. You couldn't have chosen a better representative than Russatta to kick things off with: Beauty, Brains and a Heart of Gold. And for you keep on knitting, I need hat and scarf. It's cold outside. Burrrr...!

Unknown said...

What an amazing person i had the opportunity of meeting her in 1997. She is hard goal oriented and definitely extremely talented.