Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Wednesday's Woman: Jayme L. Alilaw

I'm super excited to bring you today's Wednesday's Woman because I know that you will be as equally impressed by this young dynamo as I am!!! She is a talented vocalist, Masters degree candidate, veteran, volunteer, and if all of that wasn't enough, she's a mother as well. And I'd say all of this even if we didn't share (phonetically speaking - I spell mine differently) the same middle name LOL! I can get tired just thinking of what her schedule must look like.

Today's leading lady sat down to answer a few questions for the YIR audience about her influences, vision, role as a mother and legacy maker, and a servicewoman to her country. I'm pleased to introduce to you the uber talented mezzo-soprano and California State University graduate student Jayme L. Alilaw!!



Continue ruminating...


What was your first exposure to the opera?

My earliest memory of opera is seeing the proverbial "fat lady" in cartoons. You know, the stereotypical larger white woman with horns on her head. I didn't have any real exposure to opera until I started studying vocal performance at California State University, Northridge.


What convinced you to pursue performance as a career?

If you know me, you know that you cannot get me to shut up! I have to sing, and despite the fact that I made many attempts to pursue a more practical career, it's in my blood. I have to perform, that's when I really feel like I'm doing what I'm supposed to.

Where do you draw your musical inspirations and influences from?

I've been exposed to music all of my life. Both of my parents are music enthusiasts (my father was a dj for most of my younger years). I've grown up loving r&b, hip hop, gospel, urban contemporary (I wanted to sound like Anita Baker). When I started studying opera in school, one of the first things I did was look for a black presence in the genre. I thought "do black people sing opera?" I needed to know what I was getting myself into. Not only did I find a black presence, but I found some of the greatest divas in the opera world! Leontyne Price, Jessye Norman, Kathleen Battle, Grace Bumbry, Shirley Verrett, these women are inspirations for all opera singers. It was empowering to find them because then I knew that I had someone else's shoulders to stand on and didn't have to forge a path anew.

What challenges, if any, have you faced being a minority trying to pursue a non-conventional career in a predominantly European art form?

I have not personally experienced any stumbling blocks (that I know of) due to my ethnicity. In fact, I have found that it has been a large asset in terms of my desire to educate and expand opera audiences. I use my hue to shock and shift (the) paradigms of those who have not seen brown people singing opera. I do find that I exert extra effort to make sure I'm on point so that I will give no room to be denied. I also have friends who have experienced type-casting because some directors lack the imagination to see them in broader roles.

It's widely assumed that most African-Americans don't attend opera performances. If you had to guess, about what percentage of your audience is African-American? And, how do you think we can get larger audiences?

Oh, I'd hate to start throwing out numbers because I am new to the game and have relatively little exposure. I must say that in my personal circle, most of my friends and family had no prior exposure to opera, no prior interest. They felt like it had nothing to do with them until they were coming out to support me. I have found that when there are African American performers in the cast, there will be more African Americans in the audiences, that makes it more relevent, more relatable to them, to us. I've personally sought ways to make this music more interesting to my sphere of influence by tying it in with spirituals and other forms they are familiar with and educating them about how it relates to them.

You did a performance that highlighted your passion for Negro spirituals. What makes this music compelling for you? And, do you see any overlap between that genre and operatic performances?

Spirituals are the first uniquely "American" music. Every other music before it was brought here from a previous experience, but Spirituals were born here of the American experience. They documented the African's becoming American and all that it entailed. Spirituals have so much depth, demonstrating the humanity, spirituality, intelligence of a people who did not only survive the most inhumane of circumstances, but thrived, adapted, and created in the midst of it all. People around the world have adapted these pieces because their themes are so universally human and they remain relevant today. Both opera and spirituals serve as powerful, communicative art forms and I can definately draw upon one to inform the other.


Please explain your work with EbonSong. Why did you feel it was important to be a part of this group?
 
EbonSong is a new ensemble made up of African American singers. The group was formed by Dereau Farrar for the purpose of showcasing both African American composers and African American musicians. This group is right up my alley! I believe in the mission of the group, which is in line with what I hope to do, spread the word about the original works of African American composers. There are lots of beautiful pieces out there that have been neglected and it would do us good to shine light on them.

You are about to complete your studies for a Masters of Music. Why did you feel it was important to have this academic addition to your already impressive list of accomplishments?

I still had more to learn! It has never been a question as to whether I would pursue a college degree. When I settled on Vocal Performance, I realized that I was behind the curve. It is also fairly standard for opera singers to get a Master's degree nowadays.

Speaking of furthering your interests, what is it that you ultimately envision for your career?

I want to do so much. I ultimately aspire to an international career as an opera singer and recitalist. I want to continue to advocate for the neglected works of African American composers and expand the opera audience. I want to change the world through opera!

Service (to country and community) is an important and consistent theme in your life as you were a Sergeant in the U.S. Army Reserves and you've done voluteer work to better the lives of Hurricane Katrina victims. What drives you to serve?

Wow, I never really thought of it that way. If there is something that needs to be done and I can do it, then I do. I guess I get that from my mom.

Most importantly, you are a mother to a 7 year old little girl. How do you find time to balance your role as a mother with that of a performer, student, and servicewoman?

So, mother is definately the central role, but because I have the greatest support system in the world through my mother and sisters, I am able to pursue the other things. When I was deployed to Iraq, I had to leave my (then) 20 month old daughter with my mom and younger sister. Though it was heart-wrenching, I had peace because I knew that my family was the next best thing to me being there. Since then, my mother has pledged that wherever we are, there she will be. My family believes in me so much that they have all invested in me. As a result, this little girl is surrounded by more love and care than she even wants sometimes!

Will you encourage your daughter to enter the arts? Is she showing any signs of artistic ability or do you think she'll go into a totally different direction?

This girl is so dynamic already that I don't know which way she will go. She's definately musical, as she sings along with me while I vocalize, she's been to every opera I've ever performed in, and she's been composing her own songs since she was 2. She's also very theatrical and takes an interest in acting. Then again, she loves fine arts as well. And on top of all that, she is extremely intelligent, so really, she could do just about anything and everything and none of it would surprise me.

What legacy is it that you are leaving not only for your daughter, but other little girls like her?

My daughter has been with me at every step of the way. She has heard me practice for hours on end, she was there with me doing the daily hourly commute to and from campus, and she has seen me in uniform going to training. For her, all of this is normal and I want her to continue to believe that. Everything that is for her is accessible to her. I want her and everyone else to know that if there is something burning in them to do, then there is a means for them to do it, even if it seems highly unlikely or out of reach.

What advice do you have for anyone wanting to either pursue a career in the arts or simply learn more about the opera?
 
The internet is a wonderful thing! I'm a self-proclaimed researcher, so I would say whatever you want to know, look it up. For those intimidated or intrigued by opera, read some of the story lines and have an open mind. To those who are interested in a career in the arts I would say the same thing. Have an open mind and follow where your passion leads you, it may not be to where you thought.
 
Thank you Jayme!!
 
If you would like more information on Jayme and her performances, please check out her website http://www.jayme-alilaw.com/. For more information on the ensemble that Jayme is apart of check out EbonSong's website as well. And if you would like more information on living your passions, check out today's Examiner post.
 
 
 
 

3 comments:

Shumeca said...

What a beautiful, inspiring, and committed woman. I enjoy that it seems like you're having fun doing what you do...performing and motherhood. Rock on Jayme! I look forward to following where your career and life work takes you.

Thank you for bringing such dynamic women to the attention of your readers, Tracey.

Setta B. said...

Any plans for a NY performance?

Jayde said...

Jayme will be performing at the Symphony Space(95th St. and Broadway) on September 25, 2010 @ 3pm as a finalist in the Harlem Opera Theatre - Vocal Competition.