Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Oops She Did It Again...Or Did She?

At the beginning of the Obama era I was as pleased as punch when I learned of all the whip smart, beautiful, and stylish women joining his team. For a person who isn't easily star struck, I am a bit googley over Ms. Susan Rice. She totally rocks! But oh how I wish this were a chance for me to wax on about Ms. Rice. Nope. Naw dog. It ain't so. I shake my head, purse my lips and throw a mean side eye toward the mess that is the Desiree Rogers scandal. She has indeed become history's most famous Social Secretary and that turns out, isn't a good thing!

Continue ruminating...

While I do believe Ms. Rogers to be a woman of great excellence and totally capable of handling the job (in her sleep even), she is guilty of losing proper perspective for the past year. I think I tired of her last May when she did the WSJ article in which she referred to our president as a "brand". At first it was interesting to learn more about of all these Ivy League educated, well accomplished women. And seeing Ms. Rogers front and center, along with her good friend Valerie Jarrett, was icing on the cake. I especially liked the fact that she was a native Louisianan. Owa Owa!

But, my infatuation wasn't meant to last long. It seemed she garnered as much press for herself as the oh so fly First Lady. It was time for someone to tell her to sit down! Did she not take the hint when Ms. Jarrett stopped doing interviews about her personal life and focused her comments and interviews on the administration and its platform?

Anyway, I've debated this issue several times over the past few weeks since Ms. Rogers announced (or it was leaked, not sure which) her resignation and the subsequent appointment of Julianna Smoot in her place. While I don't believe the debacle with the Salahi couple was ever entirely her fault or even half her fault, perception is reality. And there were the Vogue features, Fashion Week attendance, and designer clad images that did her in ultimately. Again, the WSJ article did nothing to help her. Did anyone not tell her that the media would build you up, love you and in some cases lick your left ear, but in the end, make one slip and they burn you faster than a Jheri Curl during a 4th of July celebration?



So, I truly had little sympathy for her plight. Besides, she is an uber connected woman who has already proven in previous positions that she is capable of success. However, today I have to come to her defense. This latest notion that she is somehow responsible for the DNC's lagging fundraising status because she didn't send out Christmas cards to some highrollers is absurd!

I doubt if I were a person who could make a 6 figure donation to the party, I'd withhold it because I didn't get a Christmas card. If these donations are being held mostly because of Ms. Rogers' oversight of holiday greeting, do we really want people that petty with close ties to our president and possibly providing input on policies? I think it's time to say enough is enough. Let's let this woman gracefully exit her position and return to a life of privacy and dignity. I'm done!

No comments: