Thursday, March 18, 2010

Family Design

I'm so excited, almost excited enough to call up Time Warner and get cable again!! HGTV has a new show, Home Rules, that combines two of my all-time favorite things: life coaching and interior design!!!!!

Back when I had cable (it's been a year now since I last had a cable box), I sat motionless after church on Sundays for countless unproductive hours just drooling over homes on HGTV (shameful I know), meticulously taking mental notes for my own redesign projects. I would love to meet Candice Olson of Divine Design and possibly have a room decorated by her:-)  Home Rules is hosted by former WNBA star Fran Harris.

Fran works to put the function back in the show's dysfunctional families' lives. Simultaneously while redesigning their entire house, she also works with the families about hidden, or not so hidden, reasons for the clutter and imbalance in their homes. I love it!!!

Fran was an elite athlete for over 20 years and has been coaching for over 15 years. She has dubbed herself America's No Excuses Coach because she doesn't tolerate excuses in her life or her clients' lives. She says complacency is the biggest issue she sees. People are just following the status quo. The spaces aren't the most imaginative I've seen, but I just love the concept of someone really trying to tackle the issues within the families on a deeper level as they get a fresh outlook on their homes as well. Yes, if Hulu doesn't air episodes of this series, I'll have to seriously consider making that call to Time Warner.

Below are some before and after pics from a family home she redesigned. Designing hearts and homes, what could be better? Homes Rules premieres March 15 at 9/8c on HGTV. Check your local listings for the channel.

Family Room Before

Family Room After

Little Girls' Room Before

Little Girls' Room After

2 comments:

Dana Storm said...

dope. . . is this inspiration? will yours be office decor :-)

Tracey said...

Ha! Actually, it is a bit of inspiration. Well see how it all unfolds:-)