Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Tribeca Film Festival 2010


The Tribeca Film Festival is well underway at various venues throughout the city. I was fortunate enough to attend premiere screenings for two interesting character driven movies.


On Sunday, I checked out "Cairo Time" starring Patricia Clarkson. Although we've all seen Ms. Clarkson in countless movies, this one marks the first time she has played the romantic lead (I was stunned when I first learned this as well). Patricia plays the part of Juliette, a woman who goes to Egypt to visit her United Nations employed husband for a long-awaited vacation. When he is unable to join her, he sends his former security advisor Tareq, a charming and handsome Egyptian who provides protection, guidance, and assistance in this isolating foreign land. There is crazy chemistry brewing between the two and a too-close-for-comfort friendship develops.

Glamazon and TT strolling the red carpet before the movie


The scene inside the BMCC Tribeca PAC theater before the start of the movie


The director, Ruba Nadda, introducing the film's stars and producers

Next up, was last night's premiere of "Legacy" starring Idris Elba, Eamonn Walker, and Monique Gabriela Curnen.


"Legacy" is about a former Black Ops soldier, played by Idris, who is sent on a mission to capture an arms dealer, but finds himself beaten and tortured. When he learns that the operation was a mission in fultility, he returns to the U.S. to with plans to rectify the situation.

The singular setting of a dingy Brooklyn hotel room sets the backdrop for one of the most riveting performances I've seen from Idris. As a man deeply wounded, (emotionally, mentally, and physically) he fully embodies the character and transforms into something other than the cocky and swaggerific Brit we've come to love.

Idris Elba and Thomas Ikimi

After the movie, the cast and director answered some audience questions. The Nigerian born director, Thomas Ikimi, is smart, funny, and passionate about filmmaking. His desire to bring back the fundamentals of good cinema is to be applauded because, unfortunately, it's not all that common these days.

If I had to describe this movie in one phrase, I would say, "I Am Legend meets the direction of Alfred Hitchcock."

The Tribeca Film Festival runs through May 2. If you are in the NYC area, do yourself a favor and check out a screening or two. For all others, the festival is an annual affair so, be prepared to be here next year:-)

1 comment:

Setta B. said...

I have friends who attended Columbia with the director and were fairly close with him. If I had known earlier, I would have introduced myself so we all could have good reason to get next to Mr. Elba. I'll perform my due diligence next time!