Wednesday, February 10, 2010

I'd Like To Call It Beauty

Despite Bowler Boy's reluctance to bring me back an official British copy of Corinne Bailey Rae's cd, I got it anyway from iTunes this past weekend and I'm eternally grateful that I did. I completely confess to having a perfectly healthy girl crush on Ms. Rae.

You see, in my head she lives the life in reality that I, in my head, live. I imagine that she has a great collection of eccentric and fabulous vintage clothing with some modern designs from a plethora of indie and major labels thrown into the mix. She wastes away afternoons in patisseries, museums, and galleries with a great group of culturally diverse friends and she attends private screenings of smart artistically crafted films. But most importantly, she lives authentically and loves completely. It's a wholly romantic life don't you think? And that brings us to her latest offering, "The Sea." Her first album since the untimely death of her husband, Jason Rae in 2008.

"The Sea" is Ms. Rae's second release and there are no signs of the sophomore slump. For me, it's an album of contrasts. It's moody and consistent. It's mournful and celebratory. It's sad and hopeful. It's all the emotions and thoughts one would suspect would rush through your heart and mind if you had lost the person you felt was your soul mate to the silliness of an accidental overdose. It's soul, blues, rock, folk, and R&B. Even in it's grief, I find a mature sensuality definitely not present in her first album.

Rolling Stone magazine commented that on the track "The Blackest Lily" that she is "confronting death with the greatest weapon: life, fully lived." The New York Times says, "The album is a major creative leap from her debut. Ms. Rae's voice is deeper, capable of carrying the weight of this sad album. The music is richer."

I wanted to be able to list my favorite tracks, but like a proud mother, I can't pick out any. It's as though I've created them myself because I cannot succeed in breaking them apart and rewarding one over the other. It's a complete body of work that I'm pleased with. Sure, there are some that I like more than others, but I hesitate to point them out for fear that listeners wouldn't give the whole work it's due credit.

The album has pre and post-death songs on it. "I'd Do It All Again" was written pre-death after an argument with her late husband. Just as the title suggests, she'd do it all again. Enjoy....



Her record label prevents the embedding of the actual music video, but I find this live version just as enjoyable.

4 comments:

Shumeca said...

I think she's courageous. It takes humble courage to create and perform music during what might be the roughest period of emotional ebb and flow. I mean, I know artists (at least the great ones) are so because they create honest work. I just think that writers and singers are exceptional amongst their peers because their work is written or spoken. Often not leaving anything left up to interpretation because it is all clearly spelled out for the reader or stated melodically for hearers.

Mary J. Blige is another example of such an artists. Before you go throwing your hands up in amazement, Tracey, let me clarify that I am in no way drawing a comparison between her and Corinne. MJB is becoming an icon because she opened up her life through her music and invited/allowed everyone to watch and hear her feel, experience, and transform. That too required courage.

But back to Corinne...I haven't heard the album yet, but anticipate hearing her growth and boldness on this album. Plus, her new hairdo is fun. I like the cut (I didn't notice the new asymetrical angle in the back until seeing the pic you posted) and it is fuller.

Hmmm, Corinne in concert on the East Coast this year???

Tracey said...

Most definitely! I'm a little disappointed that I haven't seen her live by now. And I actually agree with you on the MJB thing. She is most definitely an artist. They are similar in that they are, like any artist should, communicate the truth of what they see and experience with their audiences.

Dana Storm said...

you have always seem to be Ms. Rae's number one fan! Find that show I may just wanna join you two!

Tracey said...

Dana I will most certainly keep you posted!